Katey Baruth, Ph.D.
Director, Master of Science in Human Services
Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, New Mexico State University,
Las Cruces, NM
M.A., Counseling with a Specialization in Addictions,
University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
B.A., Psychology, Queens University, Charlotte, NC
Dr. Baruth received her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from New Mexico State University. Her Masters and undergraduate degrees were both received in Charlotte, NC at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Queens University respectively. She is a licensed psychologist and Health Service Provider in Psychology (HSPP) in the state of Indiana and is a licensed psychologist in the state of Connecticut. She is also a Licensed Alcohol Counselor in the state of Indiana. Before joining the team at Post University, she was the Program Manager of a satellite office of a non-profit outpatient community mental health center in Indiana. She has experience working with a wide variety of presenting issues and diagnoses with a particular interest in addictions both in outpatient and inpatient settings.
At Post, Dr. Baruth has managed the undergraduate programs in Human Services as well as Psychology in the past. Additionally, she managed the Alcohol and Drug Concentration in the Master of Science in Human Services program since she has a specialization in this area. She also enjoys teaching and developing distance education courses in the areas of psychology, human services, or other related areas.
Dr. Baruth also enjoying participating in the Greater Waterbury United Way's Basic Needs Council in addition to other forms of volunteerism. She also has completed several citizens academies through local police departments in addition to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's academy through the New Haven, CT branch.
Dr. Baruth enjoys a collaborative learning environment with the focus on personal and professional growth of students.
Dr. Baruth enjoys outdoors activities (hiking, running, etc.), reading, sightseeing, traveling, and spending time with family
Dr. Baruth's research interests include resilience, protective factors, addictions, multicultural issues, and positive psychology.
- Baruth, K. (2010, January 27). Marriage is not the solution for nation's social problems [Letter to Editor]. The Republican American, p. 9A.
- Baruth, K. (2008). Instructor Test Bank. In Ciccarelli, S. K & Meyer, G. E. Psychology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Carroll,J. J., & Baruth, K. (2003). Perceptions of the impact of childhood relationships among chemically dependent women in early recovery. The Journal of Teaching in the Addictions, 1(2), 7-2.
- Baruth, K., & Carroll, J. J. (2002). The development of the Baruth Protective Factor Inventory. Journal of Individual Psychology, 58(3), 23-28.
- Baruth, K. (2002). Living and Learning. Journal of the American Academy of Psychotherapists, 23(1), 56-59.
- Baruth, K. E. (2002, April). Seeking more diversity. Counseling Today, 44(10), 26-31.
- Baruth, K. (2001, June). A Ph.D. - Is it for me? Counseling Today, 43(12), 32-35.
- Baruth, K. (2001, Fall). Why NMSU? The Communicator,12.
- Baruth, K. (2000). Unborn addicts. [Review of the video program Unborn Addicts].
International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors (IAAOC) News, 25, 6.
- Baruth, K. (2000). Counseling chemically dependent biracial individuals. International
Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors (IAAOC) News, 25, 5.
- Baruth, K. (1998). Latchkey children. Queens College Psychology Journal,1, 1-6.
Professional presentations, interviews, and workshops
- Baruth, K. (October, 2012). Mobile Learning Apps: An Analysis of User Data. Presented at the 18th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Lake Buena Vista,
- Baruth, K. (July, 2012). The Continuing Odyssey of Mobile Learning Apps: from A to B, and Now Beyond. Presented at the 5th Annual Sloan-C/MERLOT Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium, Las Vegas, NV.
- Baruth, K. (October, 2011). From Paper to Pixilation: A Critical Comparison of Traditional Versus Electronic Textbooks in Higher Education. Presented at the 2011 Las Vegas International
Education Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Baruth, K. (October, 2011). Mobile Learning Data: an Analysis of Student Use of Mobile Devices in Higher. Presented at the 17th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Baruth, K. (November, 2010). Rallying the Troops: Enhancing Motivation of Adult Learners. Presented at the 2010 Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Baruth, K. (June, 2010). [Interview with Larry Ripkin]. Post University and Naugatuck Police Department Citizen's Academy. [Radio Broadcast]. Waterbury, CT. WATR
- Baruth, K. (April, 2010). Creativity in Action: Teaching Hands-On Skils in a Web-Based Environment. Presented at the International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
- Baruth, K. (September, 2008). Autism: Basics for Law Enforcement. Presented at the Fraternal Order of the Police to Law Enforcement of Greene County, Indiana, Linton, IN.
- Baruth, K. (February, 2008). The Partnership of Mental Health in Corrections. Presented at the Greene County Community Corrections Facility for the Citizen's Academy of Greene County, Indiana, Linton, IN.
- Baruth, K. (October, 2007). Implementation of the Memphis Model in Greene County, Indiana Law Enforcement. Presented at the Fraternal Order of the Police to Law Enforcement of Greene County, Indiana, Linton, IN.
- Baruth, K. (September, 2006). Epidemic Drug Use Among Teens in Greene County, Indiana. Presented at Shakamak High School in coordination with the Greene County Probation Department, Jasonville, IN.
- Baruth, K. (March, 2004). Resilience and Protective Factors: Working with College Students. Presented at the Counseling and Psychological Services Center at Appalachian State University, Boone, NC.
- Baruth, K. (March, 2004). Protective Factors in Mental Health Issues: Can They Make a Difference? Presented at Queens University. Charlotte, NC.
- Baruth, K. (May, 2002). A Formal Assessment of Resilience: The Baruth Protective Factors Inventory, Presented at the Multicultural Research Symposium at New Mexico State University. Las Cruces, NM.
- Baruth, K. (April, 2002). A Formal Assessment of Resilience: The Baruth Protective Factor Inventory, Presented at the Graduate Research and Art Symposium. Las Cruces, NM.
- Baruth, K. (March, 1998). Trustworthiness and effectiveness of employee assistance programs, Presented at the Southeastern Psychological Association's Annual Conference. Mobile, Alabama.
- Baruth, K. (March, 1998). Attitudes towards employee assistance programs. Presented at the North Carolina Counseling Association's Annual Conference, Chapel Hill, NC.