Master of Education
Master New Teaching Skills and Competencies
The future of education depends on innovative and creative educators like you, who can transform educational programs and practices to meet the challenges, and respond to the opportunities, of this rapidly changing world. Post University’s online master’s in education degree program offers you the opportunity to learn, educate and lead in the field. Coursework helps you build the critical thinking, analytic and forecasting skills you need to be successful in a variety of educational settings, including K-12, corporate, training, military, online, post-secondary and more. Many of our graduates go on to pursue their doctoral education degree to further enhance their knowledge and advance in their careers.
Download your guide to learn everything you need to know about
earning a master of education online.
Our program is grounded in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of research-based education practices. In your core classes, you will develop a vision for the future of education through an analysis of the issues and changes in both education and technology; apply principles of cognitive science; use metrics to measure student, programmatic and institutional achievement; and identify and use relevant technology in the service of better learning. Technology is a critical component of this program, and you will create your Personal Learning Environment to compile and share what you learn in a digital portfolio. Upon completion of your coursework, you will be prepared to:
- Compare theories of teaching and learning and apply them in a variety of educational contexts
- Analyze emerging technology trends and effectively integrate innovative technology to support learning
- Establish and evaluate learning communities that are collaborative, inclusive and supportive of the needs of a diverse population of learners
- Examine and interpret a variety of educational data, resources, and research to support and inform decision-making practices
Your studies will conclude with a three-course capstone, in which you will complete an actionesearch project aimed at solving a real-world problem of practice.
At Post University, we understand you have responsibilities you can’t put on hold while you attend school — and you don’t have to with our completely online education degrees. Stay in your current position while you learn on your schedule.
Master of Education
Normal Program Completion Time – 22 Months
This program is offered online.
The Master of Education program at Post University provides students with a curriculum tailored to the critical thinking, analytic, and forecasting skills needed to be change-agents and leaders in their education organizations. The program is grounded in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of research-based education practices while keeping sight on the future of education through the use of trending and forecasting strategies. Technology is integrated throughout the program, enabling educators to create their own Personal Learning Environments to individualize education applications through a creative web presence.
During the program’s four core courses, students will develop a vision for the future of education through an analysis of the issues and changes in both education and technology; apply principles of cognitive science; use of metrics to measure student, programmatic, and institutional achievement; and identify and use relevant technology in the service of better learning. Following the core, students will select a five-course concentration sequence in Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Technology, Learning Design and Technology, Online Teaching, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). All students will complete a comprehensive capstone course focused on educational research practices, research methodology, and research design. Students will propose an action-research project aimed at solving a real-world problem of practice. The Master of Education program prepares students to move to leadership positions within their own education context, which may be in the K-12, corporate, training, military, online, post-secondary, or other education environments. The Master of Education program’s career opportunities include strengthening one’s career as a teacher-leader, K-12 department chair, administrative leader, curriculum developer, corporate trainer, training leader, instructional designer, educational technologist, or military trainer, depending on a student’s background and chosen area of concentration.
The Post University Master of Education program develops innovative and creative educators who can transform the educational enterprise to meet the challenges and respond to the opportunities of a changing world. Graduates will have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to become emerging leaders in a variety of educational contexts. Students who attain a Master of Education program from Post University can expect to have achieved the following outcomes.
- Students will compare theories of curriculum and instruction and apply them in variety of educational contexts.
- Students will identify and critically evaluate research-based education strategies and practices.
- Students will analyze emerging technology trends and effectively integrate innovative technology to support learning.
- Students will identify problems of practice and craft effective solutions that demonstrate the application of content knowledge.
- Students will establish and evaluate learning communities that are collaborative, inclusive, and support the needs of a diverse population of learners.
- Students will examine and interpret a variety of educational data, resources, and research to support and inform decision-making practices.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills, personal reflection, and professional growth and development in the field of education through the creation of a digital portfolio.
Note: Post University’s Master of Education program is not a teacher licensure program. Please check with your state and/or local district to confirm the use of this degree towards any path to certification.
Master of Education with a Concentration in Curriculum and Instruction
The Curriculum and Instruction concentration within the M.Ed. program is for teaching and/or curriculum professionals from varied education settings who seek a creative and innovative program to develop their curriculum and instructional skills. The coursework within the concentration focuses on research-based teaching strategies that promote learning and enhance achievement in all education settings. It also provides a differentiated learning experience so that students may pursue projects of interest to them.
Curriculum and Instruction Concentration Outcomes
- Students will be able to use selected advanced instructional strategies appropriate for specific learning outcomes.
- Students will be able to apply a variety of formative and summative assessment strategies to evaluate and improve Curriculum and Instruction.
- Students will be able to design and develop curriculum-using models of curriculum design such as Understanding by Design and Universal Design Learning.
Master of Education with a Concentration in Educational Technology
Students who enroll in Post University’s online concentration in Educational Technology will develop leadership skills and technology experience in order to be prepared to meet the challenges and opportunities in the fields of education or corporate training. Coursework will introduce students to educational technology, practices, and processes and will give them opportunities to explore current and emerging technologies. Students will also examine ways in which technology can be infused into a variety of learning environments that may include a diverse audience of learners. These activities are supported by the latest research from the ever-evolving fields of Educational Technology. Students will also gain skills to manage technology-related projects specific to educational environments and will have the advantage of being able to personalize their learning experience in the program by creating projects that are personally relevant to their current or potential professional working environments.
Educational Technology Concentration Outcomes
- Students will analyze current educational technology research to identify effective applications of emerging technology tools for educational environments.
- Students will use digital authoring tools to design and develop a variety of e-learning projects suitable for diverse educational environments.
- Students will analyze, evaluate, and create educational technology integration plans for specific educational environments.
- Students will identify and develop effective management and administration strategies for the implementation of technology into existing educa
Master of Education with a Concentration in Learning Design and Technology
In the Learning Design and Technology concentration within the Master of Education program, students will focus on a broad range of instructional design theories and practical applications that will enable them to design, develop, evaluate, and implement technology-infused instruction to a broad range of participants. This concentration provides students with the opportunity to practice instructional design techniques that are applicable in many different educational environments.
Learning Design and Technology Concentration Outcomes
- Students will be able to design and develop learning environments using models of instructional design, such as the ADDIE model.
- Students will understand and be able to apply theories of design and instruction to the development, design, and implementation of educational experiences and events.
- Students will be able to integrate appropriate technology in a diversity of educational settings, including schools, universities, corporations, non-profits and government agencies.
- Students will be able to assess, budget, and evaluate educational technology.
Master of Education with a Concentration in Online Teaching
The Online Teaching concentration within the Master of Education program is designed to provide specialized knowledge, methods, and strategies about online teaching to educators who currently work in a variety of education fields and wish to teach in an online environment. The four courses in the online teaching concentration provide students research-based knowledge skills, and strategies related to quality online teaching, effective design and delivery of online courses, and strategies for assessments in online learning environments.
Online Teaching Concentration Outcomes
- Students discuss and define specific characteristics of learners and teaching strategies that are unique to the online learning environment.
- Students design and develop effective online learning goals, objectives, and activities.
- Students utilize a variety of technology tools to deliver effective online instruction.
- Students apply research-based concepts of online Curriculum and Instruction to the development of a future focused teaching plan.
Master of Education with a Concentration in Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
The Master of Education with a concentration in TESOL trains students in language pedagogy, language acquisition, English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching methodology, and ESL curriculum and assessment. The program also provides students with both theory and practice to promote culturally and linguistically sensitive educational experiences. The program equips students with the knowledge and skills to teach English to speakers of other languages, as well as to design, implement, and evaluate TESOL courses and both theory and practice.
Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Concentration Outcomes
- Students will analyze and evaluate how culture, race, and ethnicity affect student learning and achievement.
- Students will evaluate, design, and adapt best-practice ESL/ELL instructional strategies and resources.
- Students will analyze theories of second language acquisition in order to identify inhibition factors to advancing language proficiency and implement informed recommendations.
- Students will determine and develop needs-based, quality content ESL curriculum and appropriate assessment measures.
|50||MASTER OF EDUCATION TOTAL CREDITS||30 crs||h|
|51||M.Ed. Core Courses||12 crs||s|
|52||EDU505 Future of Education||3 crs|
|53||EDU510 The Cognitive Science of Teaching & Learning||3 crs|
|54||EDU515 Measurement and Metrics||3 crs|
|55||EDU520 Digitally-Mediated Teaching & Learning||3 crs|
|56||M.Ed. Concentration Courses||15 crs||s|
|57||See options below.||15 crs|
|58||M.Ed. Capstone||3 crs||s|
|59||EDU690 Comprehensive Capstone in Education||3 crs|
The University reserves the right to change or update the curriculum at any time. The University will notify students of any changes officially through the university website.
For full course descriptions please refer to the University Catalog for the current Academic Year.
Online Master of Education Concentrations
Every step of the way, you will be guided by our professional faculty, who have years of experience and expertise in the field. They will share their valuable insights and advice to help better prepare you to move ahead in your career. Additionally, a personal academic advisor will assist you with any questions, challenges and choose a concentration that best aligns with your goals.
Curriculum and Instruction
Learning Design and Technology
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)