Master of Education
Master New Teaching Skills and Competencies
The future of education depends on innovative and creative educators like you, who can transform educational programs and practices to meet the challenges, and respond to the opportunities, of this rapidly changing world. Post University’s online master’s in education degree program offers you the opportunity to learn, educate and lead in the field. Coursework helps you build the critical thinking, analytic and forecasting skills you need to be successful in a variety of educational settings, including K-12, corporate, training, military, online, post-secondary and more. Many of our graduates go on to pursue their doctoral education degree to further enhance their knowledge and advance in their careers.
Download your guide to learn everything you need to know about
earning a master of education online.
Our program is grounded in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of research-based education practices. In your core classes, you will develop a vision for the future of education through an analysis of the issues and changes in both education and technology; apply principles of cognitive science; use metrics to measure student, programmatic and institutional achievement; and identify and use relevant technology in the service of better learning. Technology is a critical component of this program, and you will create your Personal Learning Environment to compile and share what you learn in a digital portfolio. Upon completion of your coursework, you will be prepared to:
- Compare theories of teaching and learning and apply them in a variety of educational contexts
- Analyze emerging technology trends and effectively integrate innovative technology to support learning
- Establish and evaluate learning communities that are collaborative, inclusive and supportive of the needs of a diverse population of learners
- Examine and interpret a variety of educational data, resources, and research to support and inform decision-making practices
Your studies will conclude with a three-course capstone, in which you will complete an actionesearch project aimed at solving a real-world problem of practice.
At Post University, we understand you have responsibilities you can’t put on hold while you attend school — and you don’t have to with our completely online education degrees. Stay in your current position while you learn on your schedule.
|50||MASTER OF EDUCATION TOTAL CREDITS||30 crs||h|
|51||M.Ed. Core Courses||12 crs||s|
|52||EDU505 Future of Education||3 crs|
|53||EDU510 The Cognitive Science of Teaching & Learning||3 crs|
|54||EDU515 Measurement and Metrics||3 crs|
|55||EDU520 Digitally-Mediated Teaching & Learning||3 crs|
|56||M.Ed. Concentration Courses||15 crs||s|
|57||See options below.||15 crs|
|58||M.Ed. Capstone||3 crs||s|
|59||EDU690 Comprehensive Capstone in Education||3 crs|
The University reserves the right to change or update the curriculum at any time. The University will notify students of any changes officially through the university website.
For full course descriptions please refer to the University Catalog for the current Academic Year.
- The Post University Master of Education degree develops innovative and creative educators who can transform the educational enterprise to meet the challenges and respond to the opportunities of a changing world. Graduates will have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to become emerging leaders in a variety of educational contexts. Students who attain a Master of Education Degree from Post University can expect to have achieved the following outcomes
- Compare theories of teaching and learning and apply them in variety of educational contexts.
- Identify and critically evaluate research-based education strategies and practices.
- Analyze emerging technology trends and effectively integrate innovative technology to support learning.
- Identify problems of practice and craft effective solutions that demonstrate the application of content knowledge.
- Establish and evaluate learning communities that are collaborative, inclusive, and support the needs of a diverse population of learners.
- Examine and interpret a variety of educational data, resources, and research to support and inform decision-making practices.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills, personal reflection, and professional growth and development in the field of education through the creation of a digital portfolio.
Curriculum and Instruction Concentration Outcomes
- Students will be able to use selected advanced instructional strategies appropriate for specific learning outcomes.
- Students will be able to apply a variety of formative and summative assessment strategies to evaluate and improve teaching and learning.
- Students will be able to design and develop curriculum-using models of curriculum design such as Understanding by Design and Universal Design Learning.
Educational Technology Concentration Outcomes
After completing this concentration, students will be able to:
- Analyze current educational technology research to identify effective applications of emerging technology tools for educational environments.
- Use digital authoring tools to design and develop a variety of e-learning projects suitable for diverse educational environments.
- Analyze, evaluate, and create educational technology integration plans for specific educational environments.
- Identify and develop effective management and administration strategies for the implementation of technology into existing educational settings.
Learning Design and Technology Concentration Outcomes
- Students will be able to design and develop learning environments using models of instructional design, such as the ADDIE model.
- Students will understand and be able to apply theories of design and instruction to the development, design, and implementation of educational experiences and events.
- Students will be able to integrate appropriate technology in a diversity of educational settings, including schools, universities, corporations, non-profits and government agencies.
- Students will be able to assess, budget, and evaluate educational technology.
Online Teaching Concentration Outcomes
- Discuss and define specific characteristics of learners and teaching strategies that are unique to the online learning environment.
- Design and develop effective online learning goals, objectives, and activities.
- Utilize a variety of technology tools to deliver effective online instruction.
- Apply research-based concepts of online teaching and learning to the development of a future focused teaching plan.
Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Concentration Outcomes
- Students will analyze and evaluate how culture, race, and ethnicity affect student learning and achievement.
- Students will evaluate, design, and adapt best-practice ESL/ELL instructional strategies and resources.
- Students will analyze theories of second language acquisition in order to identify inhibition factors to advancing language proficiency and implement informed recommendations.
- Students will determine and develop needs-based, quality content ESL curriculum and appropriate assessment measures.
Online Master of Education Concentrations
Every step of the way, you will be guided by our professional faculty, who have years of experience and expertise in the field. They will share their valuable insights and advice to help better prepare you to move ahead in your career. Additionally, a personal academic advisor will assist you with any questions, challenges and choose a concentration that best aligns with your goals.
Curriculum and Instruction
Develop your curriculum and instructional skills in this creative and innovative concentration. Your coursework focuses on research-based teaching strategies that promote learning and enhance achievement in all education settings. It also provides a differentiated learning experience, so you can pursue projects that interest you.
In this concentration, you will assess educational technology, practices and processes; explore current and emerging technologies; and examine ways to infuse technology into a variety of educational and corporate training settings to meet the needs of different learning styles. You will also be able to personalize your own learning experience by creating technology-related projects that are relevant to your current or potential professional working environment.
Learning Design and Technology
In this concentration, you will focus on a broad range of instructional design theories and practical applications. You will learn to design, develop, evaluate and implement technology-infused instruction to a broad range of participants, and you will have the opportunity to practice instructional design techniques that are applicable in many different educational environments.
If you want to teach in an online format, choose this four-course concentration. You will develop research-based knowledge, skills and strategies related to quality online teaching, effective design and delivery of online courses, and assessments in online learning environments.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
You will be trained in language pedagogy, language acquisition, English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching methodology, and ESL curriculum and assessment. This concentration also provides you with both theory and practice to promote culturally and linguistically sensitive educational experiences. Upon completion of your coursework, you will be able to design, implement, teach and evaluate TESOL curriculum.
Prepare to become a leader in the education field. Contact us to apply for Post University’s online master’s in education degree program now.