Bachelor of Science in Human Services
Uplift Those in Need and Elevate Your Career
This program is offered on Campus and Online.
You have a genuine desire to help others at the individual, group and community level. With a human services degree from Post University, you can possess the knowledge and abilities necessary to make a difference in the human services field. Our graduates have secured human services jobs as caseworkers, youth workers, probation officers, life skills instructors, group home managers, client advocates, program managers and program engagement coordinators. You may also choose to pursue your master’s degree at Post University to further advance your career and work toward clinical licensure.
Through case studies and interactive classroom activities, you will build foundational knowledge in case management techniques, prevention theories and concepts, and human development. You will gain an understanding of people’s capacity for growth and change while learning to advocate for social justice by practicing your skills in the areas of counseling, ethical decision-making, and crisis intervention. Upon completion of your studies, you will be able to:
- Identify and apply the theories and principles of human development, counseling dynamics, and social and legislative issues to various human service settings
- Integrate and apply information such as client data, statistical information and record keeping in the delivery of human services
- Assess and organize the needs of clients and client groups about programming, service planning and outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in understanding and exploring interpersonal dynamics regarding improving service delivery
- Reflect upon and discuss your values, beliefs, and ideas to more effectively provide direct services in the human services field
Our human services program is designed to take students beyond the classroom. In addition to learning from professionals with real-world expertise, you will have the opportunity to integrate and apply what you’ve learned in a human service setting through a supervised field experience.
Following your coursework and training, you may also choose to complete an internship at local organizations at your local substance abuse facilities, child protection service agencies, or in a variety of intervention and prevention-based programs.
At Post University, you don’t have to put your responsibilities on hold to pursue your education. Stay in your current job and learn on your schedule with our flexible day, evening and weekend, and 100 percent online class options. Additionally, our staff is always available to offer guidance and support. As soon as you enroll, you will be assigned a dedicated academic advisor, who will answer any questions and help you customize your degree to your career goals with a concentration in one of the many different career paths in the human services field.
Bachelor of Science in Human Services
Normal Time for Completion: 48 Months
This program is offered at the Main Campus, online, evenings, and weekends.
Students prepare for the challenging and rewarding work in the field of human services with a foundation in case management techniques, prevention theories and concepts, and knowledge of human development. Students gain an understanding of peoples’ capacity for growth and change while learning to advocate for social justice by practicing their skills in the areas of counseling, ethical decision making, crisis intervention and advocacy. To help focus their studies, students may choose may choose from six areas of concentration: Counseling, Criminal Justice, Equine Industry, Human Service Management, Psychology- Health, Education and Community Services, and Sociology-Health and Community Services. Graduates can pursue work in non-profit, state, or for-profit agencies in positions such as, caseworker, youth worker, probation officer, life skills instructor, group home manager, client advocate, program manager, and program engagement coordinator.
- Students will be able to articulate the historical milestones and developmental highlights of the human services profession.
- Students will be able to identify and apply the theories and principles of human development, counseling dynamics, social and legislative issues to various human service settings.
- Students will be able to articulate an understanding of the various issues that impact human functioning.
- Students will be able to integrate and apply information such as client data, statistical information, and record keeping in the delivery of human services.
- Students will be able to assess and organize the needs of clients and client groups in relation to programming, service planning and outcomes.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in understanding and exploring interpersonal dynamics in regard to improving service delivery.
- Students will be able to evaluate and analyze the administrative components of human service delivery systems.
- Students will be able to articulate and apply a code of ethics in the delivery of human services.
- Students will be able to reflect upon and discuss their own values, beliefs, and ideas in an effort to more effectively provide direct services in the human services field.
- Students will be able to integrate and apply their learning experiences within a human service setting through a supervised field experience.
- Students will be able to tie together vital skills and abilities necessary to be a competent professional in the field of human services.
|124||B.S. IN HUMAN SERVICES TOTAL CREDITS||120 crs||h|
|126||GENERAL EDUCATION||60 crs||h|
|127||COMMON CORE||12 crs||s|
|128||ENG110 College Writing||3 crs|
|129||ENG130 Literature and Composition||3 crs|
|130||COM107 Introduction to Communication||3 crs|
|131||CIS112 Introduction to Computing||3 crs|
|132||LIBERAL ARTS||24 crs||s|
|133||History Elective||3 crs|
The University reserves the right to change or update the curriculum at any time. The University will notify students of any changes officially through the university website.
For full course descriptions please refer to the University Catalog for the current Academic Year.
Human Services Concentrations
Human Services Management
Psychology — Health, Education, and Community Services
Sociology — Health and Community Services
Make a difference in your life and the lives of others. Contact us to enroll in Post University’s on-campus or online human services degree program today.
Note: Licensure is a professional process that varies from state to state. Please consult the appropriate state agency to determine the specific requirements for licensure in your state
Get College Credits for Work and Life Experiences
Find out more about Post's Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Program.