Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
Make a Case to Employers with a Legal Degree
This program is offered on Campus and Online.
Attorneys aren’t the only legal professionals who help others navigate the law and solve their legal problems. Paralegals are integral to the legal process, as they support attorneys with a variety of tasks. With an education from Post University, you can be prepared to join a legal team and deliver helpful, effective, problem-solving legal services. Our B.S. in Legal Studies program provides a career-focused pathway to paralegal jobs in a range of law firms, corporate legal departments, government agencies, and the court system. Unlike many paralegal schools’ programs, ours includes both traditional, skills-based paralegal courses and survey-type legal studies courses to give you the well-rounded education and experience employers look for in potential candidates.
You will acquire specific legal knowledge in the context of ethical practice. You will also develop practical skills in legal research and writing, civil litigation, real estate closings, probate practice, family law and practice, environmental law and practice, intellectual property practice, business organizations and practice, and bankruptcy practice. Survey courses include business law, e-commerce, and e-government. Upon completion of your paralegal classes, you will demonstrate:
- A comprehensive understanding of various specialized areas of the law
- A professional level of organizational and written and oral communication skills
- An understanding of the team concept for the delivery of legal services
- Skills in the use of technology in the delivery of legal services
- Ethical awareness and an understanding of the concept of integrity
Though internships are not required, there are many excellent placement opportunities in your local courts, law firms and legal clinics that could lead to a job offer. At Post University, we take a personal interest in your success. You will learn from attorney-practitioner faculty with valuable insights and years of experience in the field. Their professional guidance and one-on-one support will help to prepare you for the real world upon graduation better. We also offer flexible day, evening and weekend, and online paralegal programs, so you can stay in your current position while you learn on your schedule.
Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
Normal Time for Completion 48 Months
This program is offered on the Main Campus, online, evenings, and weekends.
Post University’s Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies program provides students with the opportunity to acquire specific legal skills and knowledge in the context of ethical practice. It is a career-focused pathway to a variety of professional careers where undergraduate legal skills and knowledge are required. The program includes both traditional skills-based paralegal courses and survey–type legal studies courses. Specific skills that are taught include, but are not limited to legal research and writing, civil litigation, real estate closings, probate practice, family law and practice, environmental law & practice, intellectual property practice, business organizations and practice, and bankruptcy practice. Survey courses include business law, e-commerce, and e-government. Career opportunities are available in a large variety of law firms, corporate legal departments, the court system, and government agencies.
- Students will attain a professional level of organizational skills including thinking, planning, and execution skills.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the team concept for the delivery of legal services.
- Students will attain a professional level of written and oral communication skills.
- Students will demonstrate skills in the use of technology in the delivery of legal services.
- Students will demonstrate ethical awareness and understand the concept of integrity.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive, practical understanding of subject specific skills-based areas of practical legal work.
- Students will acquire knowledge of career opportunities in law firms, corporate legal departments, government, and non-profit settings.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of various specialized areas of the Law.
|82||B.S. IN LEGAL STUDIES TOTAL CREDITS||120 crs||h|
|84||GENERAL EDUCATION||60 crs||h|
|85||COMMON CORE||12 crs||s|
|86||ENG110 College Writing||3 crs|
|87||ENG130 Literature and Composition||3 crs|
|88||COM107 Introduction to Communication||3 crs|
|89||CIS112 Introduction to Computing||3 crs|
|90||LIBERAL ARTS||24 crs||s|
|91||History Elective||3 crs|
The University reserves the right to change or update the curriculum at any time. The University will notify students of any changes officially through the university website.
For full course descriptions please refer to the University Catalog for the current Academic Year.
The verdict is in: Post University is your first step to an exciting and rewarding paralegal career. Contact us to enroll in our on-campus or online B.S. in Legal Studies program today.
Find Your Program
Get College Credits for Work and Life Experiences
Find out more about Post's Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Program.