Main Campus Academic Advisor
Post University is seeking a Main Campus Academic Advisor to join our growing team.
POST UNIVERSITY’S STORY:
Post University is a world-class, non-traditional learning institution with over 100 years’ rich tradition in making career goals and aspirations a reality for countless students across the United States and over 40 different countries.
Our growth history is based on retaining passionate professionals who treat students and each other with amazing service. Our business model is simple – “We Make It Personal!” and “We CARE!”
The Post success story is based on our daily journey wherein each associate lives, thinks, and behaves “outside the box” of traditional solutions or cultures. Post University is a family of the best and brightest trailblazers, inspired by our routine way of life – bold, disruptive, and fun! We are singularly focused difference-makers in the classroom, in the communities we serve, and the non-profit charities we support!
The Advisor is responsible for establishing a supportive relationship with their students. The Advisor provides advising and counseling services to all undergraduate and graduate students at the Main Campus in Waterbury. Academic Advising is essential in coaching and counseling the students from the transition into school through to graduation. It is imperative that the advisors are able to build a strong, professional relationship with students and remain in constant contact with students through verbal and electronic means of communication. The Advisor will monitor, track, and report on retention initiatives and work with faculty and staff in an effort to increase retention. Our Advisors are proactive guides and academic coaches. The Advisor works closely with all offices on campus including Admissions, Student Finance, Academics, and the Registrar to provide a high level of service to students. A strong understanding of technology is a priority.
- Provides students with guidance related to academic progress, course selection, registration, degree selection, and work/life/study issues.
- Coaches and advises students on strategies for success, and the ability to overcome challenges, and provides access to appropriate resources.
- Maintains contact with students to discuss degree program requirements, course selection, and change of major, petition process, and designate a minor.
- Proactively and creatively works independently and as a member of the Academic Advising team to identify barriers to students’ academic success and develop solutions that improve retention;
- Introduce students to and train them on the use of university systems, (e.g. Web Registration and Blackboard, Post University Mobile App)
- Interacts with faculty and other relevant offices to update and report on retention concerns and at-risk students. Advocate for student needs across all departments of the university.
- Actively and independently manage the assigned student caseload.
- Works closely with other University offices including The Registrar’s Office, the Office of Student Finance, Student Services, Athletics, Academic Affairs, and Admissions to assist students with university procedures.
- Communicate and enforce school policies/procedures when working with students, faculty, and staff.
- Assists Registrar in auditing credits for graduation.
- Maintain accurate documentation of student records electronically
- Analyzes retention data to identify key points of student attrition; makes recommendations to increase student persistence.
- Help student-athletes to understand NCAA eligibility requirements.
- Complete electronic transfer credit evaluations for students entering the University.
- Facilitate connections with other departments in the enrollment team to ensure student file completion and a clear pathway to graduation.
- Attend University events to support University’s goals and mission. (Open Houses, Graduation, Accepted Student’s Day, New Student Orientation) *This may include evenings and weekends.
- Reviews office systems and suggest improvements.
- Supervises work-study students.
- Provides student tracking reports to university management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must be able to work weekends and late-night hours
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Excellent face-to-face, phone, and email communication skills; maintains a positive attitude.
- Good organization skills and ability to keep consistent contact with full student caseload
- One to two years of experience in an academic or counseling environment is preferred.
- Ability to use and quickly learn existing and new technologies, including but not limited to Blackboard, Campus Nexus, Microsoft Office Suite, social media, etc.
- Problem solver; a solutions-oriented person.
- Self-starter – shows initiative and is able to work both independently and as a team member to achieve organizational goals. Energetic, goal-oriented, and must have a strong interest in working in a fast-paced environment that requires multi-tasking.
- Dedicated to student success with a sense of purpose, responsive to students and colleagues
- Works well in a team environment; enjoys working as a contributing member of the Advising team and can maintain a professional, positive working relationship with other offices.
- Ability to adapt to new ideas and see them as opportunities to improve the student experience.
Post University requires, as a condition of employment, that all new hires and employees have or obtain the Covid-19 vaccination and booster, and provide proof of same unless an exemption or deferral is approved.
As a member of our Post University team, the individual will share in a 130-year tradition of helping people achieve their personal and professional goals. Located in Waterbury, Connecticut, Post University has a vibrant campus and an excellent online program. The University offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, 401(k) and tuition benefits.
Interested candidates should forward cover letter, resume, and three references to Post University Associate Experience.
Disclaimer: This opportunity may be withdrawn and/or amended.
POST UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that employs in compliance with all applicable laws. We do not discriminate because of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, handicap or other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, service and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and job interview process should notify the Director of Associate Experience, Post University.
"Post University a great place for great minds to develop their careers, no matter what role you fulfill."
Donna, Post Employee for 25 years
"You really build a strong relationship with each student, and their success becomes your success."
Caitlin, Academic Success Counselor
"The work environment at Post is extremely positive and happy, and you have the opportunity to connect with your employees."
Gina, Post Management