Post University is seeking a Career Advisor (Full-time) to join our team.
POST UNIVERSITY’S STORY:
Post University is a world class, non-traditional learning institution with over 100 years’ rich tradition in making career goals and aspirations become a reality for countless students from across the United States and over 40 different countries. Our growth history is based on retaining passionate professionals who treat students and each other with amazing service. Our business model is simple – “We Make It Personal!”.
The Post success story is based on our daily journey wherein each associate lives, thinks and behaves “outside the box” of traditional solutions or cultures. Post University is a family of the best and brightest trail blazers, inspired by our routine way of life – bold, disruptive, and fun! We are singularly focused difference-makers in the classroom, in the communities we serve, and the non-profit charities we support!
Under supervision of the Director of Career and Professional Development [CCPD], the Career Advisor will provide skills assessment and other related activities that enhance the best student to job match. Follows up on student placement success. Contributes to the continuous expansion of the CCPD job database by establishing and maintaining close communication with employers. The Career Advisor will provide group career advisement including, but not limited to conversations about linking major to career, industry / career exploration, resume critique, mock interviews, and salary negotiation with students. Conducts campus wide and virtual job fairs and networking events. This position is on Post’s main campus and is not a remote opportunity.
- Responsible for functioning as a direct liaison between the student/graduate and the employer for the purpose of providing successful job search assistance
- Explains proper interview techniques to ensure the student understands what companies are looking for and how to best express themselves.
- Develops and collects data on surveys
- Creates and maintains an employer database
- Coordinates with other CCPD staff and corporate partners to build pathways for employers to students
- Maintains job placement follow-up records and reports weekly to supervisor
- Conducts student placement follow-up activities at appropriate times
- Works with students on improving computer skills to aid in job searches and resume writing
- Implements current proven strategies in job search and job retention
- Develops and participates in job fairs, Career Days and other hiring events relevant to student needs
- Responsible for assisting with organizing and providing employer participation in all school job fairs and outside hiring seminar
- Assists students with resume and cover letter writing, interview tips, job or internship search strategies, salary negotiation, career exploration, and more
- Provides comprehensive individual and group advisement sessions to target population(s) for a multicultural community of students and alumni within the school
- Identifies and encourages participation in experiential and internship program
- Performs classroom, campus, and orientation presentations to students at the request of faculty or departmental staff
- Manages career planning and job search resources and workshops to enhance the students’ career preparedness.
- Coordinates with CCPD staff to create special projects/programs, e.g. employer panels, and activities throughout year (employer exploration days, career fairs, etc.)
- Coordinates and assists other career staff with various events
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to position
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity.
- Ability to research and quickly develop knowledge of employer recruiting strategies, job market trends, occupational, career and personal growth.
- Proficiency with windows environment including word processing, knowledge, or database programs.
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team.
- Ability to respect confidentially and ethical boundaries with regards to guidelines, supervision and professional consultant within the University.
- Ability to respond professionally to common inquires and/or complaints from students, staff, employers, or community at large, regarding career programming and technology.
Education and/or Experience:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, psychology, communication, public relations or another related major.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Familiarity with corporate and nonprofit human resource management.
- Understanding of experiential education and career advising.
- Experience in presentation of workshops or public speaking.
- Experience with Handshake, ONet, and other career service platforms.
Post University requires, as a condition of employment, that all new hires and employees have or obtain the Covid-19 vaccination and booster, and provide proof of same unless an exemption or deferral is approved.
As a member of our Post University team, the individual will share in a 130-year tradition of helping people achieve their personal and professional goals. Located in Waterbury, Connecticut, Post University has a vibrant campus and an excellent online program. The University offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, 401(k) and tuition benefits.
Interested candidates should forward cover letter, resume, and three references to Post University Associate Experience.
Disclaimer: This opportunity may be withdrawn and/or amended.
POST UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that employs in compliance with all applicable laws. We do not discriminate because of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, handicap or other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, service and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and job interview process should notify the Director of Associate Experience, Post University.
"Post University a great place for great minds to develop their careers, no matter what role you fulfill."
Donna, Post Employee for 25 years
"You really build a strong relationship with each student, and their success becomes your success."
Caitlin, Academic Success Counselor
"The work environment at Post is extremely positive and happy, and you have the opportunity to connect with your employees."
Gina, Post Management