Clicky

Select Page

Post University Blog

This month we are highlighting influential women at Post University in honor of Women’s History Month. Read more at Women of Post.

Sandra D. Wilson, M.Ed., J.D.
Program Chair, Criminal Justice

What inspired you to enter the field of education, or got you started on your professional path?

At an early stage in my life I knew I had “the calling” to teach. Ever since I could remember I was passionate about learning and whenever I had the opportunity to stand up before my class or show anyone how to do something, I volunteered.

I can remember at my preschool graduation when no one in my class had the confidence to demonstrate what the parts of the body were before an audience of parents and teachers, I did. I still have the photo to prove it!

I can recall ever since that moment speaking at every graduation through elementary school all the way to college.

A significant moment in my life was while I was in high school and my favorite teacher, Miss Dixon “lit that fire” in me even more so. She told me I would make a great teacher one day. She was this petite, intelligent, and a very confident woman. It was at that point in my own educational journey that I saw being a teacher in some way in my future.

After college, I earned a Master’s in Education before law school and loved it. I knew then that no matter what path I took I was somehow going to put my studies in education into practice.

Who was your female role model? Yes, you can credit your mom.

I would have to say mom is at the top of my list. She is my best friend, spiritual advisor and the absolute wisest woman I know. She stands at 4’11, but walks 6 feet tall. She has embedded in me a passion to learn and to share my knowledge with others.

She would share stories with my brother and me about growing up in the south as a black woman. When it came time for her to go to college, she was not able to apply to any school she wanted because of segregation. In those days, the eligibility requirement for most colleges in the south was, “whites only”. She later came to the north to complete two bachelors and a master’s degree as well.

Her fortitude and resilience to become educated taught me that education is the cornerstone of my life. It is my hope that I inspire others.

Do you want share your interest or involvement in a community organization?

Community organizations that I enjoy are Boys & Girls Club of America and Junior Achievement. I have been heavily involved with both in the past.

Currently, a local organization in Naugatuck, Jane Doe No More is near and dear to my heart. This important nonprofit seeks to change the way society responds to sexual assault. I have met some of the strongest men and women I know through that organization. Their stories are unimaginable and full. Of bravery and hope. Every year JDNM invite them as a featured speaker for our Annual Criminal Justice Lecture Series during the month of April (Sexual Assault Awareness Month).