Clicky

Select Page

Post University Blog

Tony DiLeone graduated from Post University in 2018 with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. He’s also currently enrolled in our online MBA program. We wanted to follow up and see what Tony’s doing a year later.

Tony, where are you working now, and what’s your job title?

I’m the Director of Information Technology at at EdAdvance. I’m responsible for overseeing all of our internal technology operations, including our phone system, servers, and network infrastructure. We also run a fee-for-service initiative, where we provide itinerant information technology support to school districts in the area. So, I oversee that portion of it as well.

How long have you been doing that?

I became a director for the agency back in 2017. I’ve been with them since 2011.

What made you want to get your bachelor’s in business administration?

In my field, without having that degree, the position that I’m in right now was my stopping point. I needed a little bit more education in order for me to go further.

My long-term goal is to be a business manager or a director of finance and operations for a school district. And the quickest path to get there was with the bachelor’s degree. Connecticut requires something called an 085 certification to be a school business manager, and one of the most direct criteria for me to get that certification was with the bachelor’s in business administration.

What made you choose Post University?

I looked at private schools in Fairfield county as well as some state schools. But Post University made the most sense to me because it’s a name that I grew up with. I grew up right down the street from Post University, on Town Plot and Waterbury.

I always had a very loose affiliation with the school through other classmates who attended when we were younger. The person who got me to join the online program at Post is somebody that I went to high school with. Unfortunately, he’s no longer with Post, but at the time, he convinced me that it was the best solution.

What year was that, Tony?

I started Post in 2013. It took me a little longer than four years, because of work obligations and things like that. I wasn’t always able to go full-time.

Was that one of the advantages of Post — that you were able to go at your own pace?

Absolutely. The online courses offer a level of flexibility that you don’t find in a conventional learning setting in the classroom. And the online program does allow you to work whenever you need to on your assignments, communicate with your professors electronically, and get the support that you need to be successful.

What has happened in your career since you graduated?

My employer has assigned me new responsibilities that align with my degree and career path. This has resulted in increased compensation and experience in areas that are relevant to my overall career goals.

Because we offer some fee-for-service initiatives, last year my employer was able to lease me out to a few school districts as an interim director of finance and operations, which helped me get some experience in that arena. But again, it wouldn’t have been something that was possible without having that 085 certification, which came directly from my bachelor’s degree.

How is your degree supporting your larger career goals now?

My degree has opened new employment opportunities for me as a Director of Finance and Operations in any Connecticut public school district. I have been actively participating in interviews for this position, trying to find a district that is “right” for me. I am happy to say that recently I was offered and accepted the position of Director of Finance and Business Operations in Regional School District 16 in Connecticut. I start at the end of May.

How’s the online MBA program at Post University going for you so far?

Well, I’m on my fourth term right now but I had to slow it down a little bit. I’m only going half-time, and that’s probably how it’ll stay for the foreseeable future. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Again, it allows me to balance out my work life, my family life, and my school life and be able to keep all three of them in check and continue to be successful.

Is there anything else you would like to share about your experiences with the B.S. in Business Administration program at Post and its effect on your career path?

Overall, it’s a terrific program. If this were five years ago and I was given the opportunity to do it all over again, I would stick with Post. My education and hard work during my time at Post have done a terrific job preparing me for the next phase of my career. It’s provided me with the fundamental knowledge needed to perform new job responsibilities while creatively and effectively solving problems.

Likewise, connections that I have made through the National Society for Leadership and Success and with various Post faculty members have provided me with terrific advice and motivation as I prepare myself for my next endeavors.