Director of Academic Success and Retention
Post University is seeking a Director of Academic Success and Retention to join our team.
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to fully utilize your expertise in a growing and ever evolving organization?
As an associate at Post, you will have an opportunity every day to change lives and be a part of building something truly special. We are looking for exceptional talent who understand that their purpose is to create a personal, memorable and delightful experience for our students and each other.
We seek those that:
- thrive on working things out through collaboration and straight talk,
- who are willing to find and try creative solutions, and
- who take on complex challenges with a ‘we will overcome this’ attitude!
If you understand what it takes to be obsessive about service, be part of a team – willing to work toward the team’s priorities, not your own and who can genuinely embrace our culture and our mission…. then we’re interested in you!
The Director manages the operations of the advising office to provide outstanding student support, improved retention rates, work/life credits, and appropriate application of academic policies and standards. This position works closely with admissions, faculty, financial aid, student services, and student accounts as a part of a team of departments who provide proactive support to students throughout their studies at the University. This person works collaboratively to register students for future terms. The position oversees advising for the University’s large adult population who pursue their degrees in accelerated programs offered in online and hybrid formats. The Director will lead a fast-paced customer service organization that uses telephone and email extensively, as well as face-to-face meetings with students. This person will be involved in the evaluation of, improvements to, and proactive communication of academic policies and works closely with other departments to improve student retention. This position is responsible for developing and fostering a high degree of customer service satisfaction.
- Responsible for managing and scheduling of advising staff.
- Provides continuous training for and evaluation of advising and student support services staff for continuous improvement and development.
- Leads the advising team in proactively maintaining relationships with advisees as a key part of the university’s retention efforts through regular email and phone contact (in some cases in-person contact).
- Works closely with admissions, registrar, financial aid, student accounts, instructional design, and faculty to assure outstanding customer service to our students and the appropriate application of university policies.
- Oversees the following student services: degree program requirement discussions and updates, course selection, change of major, petition process, the designation of a minor and evaluation of life/work experience for college credit.
- Develops training, communications, and support material for advisors and students that provides guidance related to academic progress, course selection, degree selection, and work/life/study issues.
- Manages the University’s online orientation.
- Assures that the advising team meets student advising goals and executes on student retention plans.
- Responsible for data integrity by ensuring the correct input of all information as it relates to advising.
- Responsible for managing staff to established goals set forth for each team member to ensure all goals are being met.
- Possesses knowledge of all applicable policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
- Ensuring all established staff policies and procedures along with the departmental expectations are being followed.
- Responsible for performance evaluations of each member.
- Reviews petition log regularly and works with an inter-departmental team to adjudicate petitions and communicate results to students.
- Is responsible for the ADP Advising Handbook, both electronic and paper editions; maintains the handbook for accuracy, effectiveness, and currency.
- Reviews and revises the advising content on the University website; must update, maintain, and improve what is communicated to students through the web and print.
- Recommends and once approved, implements policy changes to improve procedures, retention, and Quality Education initiatives.
- Identify retention strategies and assist in implementation.
- Consistently monitor and update student’s status and progress to guarantee success and provides reports to university management.
- This position requires a flexible schedule and weekend hours as needed to meet the operational needs of the Advising Office.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree required: master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of successful experience as an Academic Advisor in a higher education position preferred but not required.
- Previous experience in mentorship and prior training experience desired.
- Prior management experience desired.
- Excellent phone, email, and face-to-face communication skills.
- Positive attitude required; leads by example.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement assigned responsibilities and to work well under pressure to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to keep consistent contact with any advisees assigned to the Director.
- Good computer skills; able to use Microsoft Office products and learn university systems.
- Enjoys working with and supporting adult students.
- Ability to understand, use, and manage to metrics and communicate those to senior management.
- Problem solver; is a solutions-oriented person.
- Ability to manage multiple offices in different locations.
- Energetic and goal-oriented; strong interest in working in a fast-paced environment that requires multi-tasking.
As a member of our Post University team, the individual will share in a 130-year tradition of helping people achieve their personal and professional goals. Located in Waterbury, Connecticut, Post University has a vibrant campus and an excellent online program. The University offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, 401(k) and tuition benefits.
Interested candidates should forward cover letter, resume, and three references to Post University Associate Experience.
Disclaimer: This opportunity may be withdrawn and/or amended.
POST UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that employs in compliance with all applicable laws. We do not discriminate because of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, handicap or other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, service and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and job interview process should notify the Director of Associate Experience, Post University.
"Post University a great place for great minds to develop their careers, no matter what role you fulfill."
Donna, Post Employee for 25 years
You really build a strong relationship with each student, and their success becomes your success."
Caitlin, Academic Success Counselor
The work environment at Post is extremely positive and happy, and you have the opportunity to connect with your employees."
Gina, Post Management