Select Page

State Approvals

Post University is an institutional participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). As a participating institution, it adheres to a common set of standards for offering postsecondary distance education among member states, districts, and territories. The Agreement establishes comparable national standards for the interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. Post University continues to monitor developments in the relevant laws in each state. If authorization or licensure is necessary or becomes necessary, the necessary steps will be taken to gain approval. The below lists all current participating SARA states, as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

SARA Participating States

District of Columbia


New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands

Information on SARA states is available at Some states require additional information be provided to online students. The states that require this additional information are listed below. Certain states require specific policies regarding the refund of tuition and fees charged for students from these states taking online courses. Please refer to select 4.8 for state specific refund information for Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, and Wisconsin.

Arkansas: The student should be aware that Post University credits may not transfer.

California: Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF)
The State of California established the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) to relieve or mitigate economic loss suffered by a student in an educational program at a qualifying institution who is or was a California resident while enrolled or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition, and suffered an economic loss.

Unless relieved of the obligation to do so, you must pay the state-imposed assessment for the Fund STRF, or it must be paid on your behalf, if you are a student who is a California resident in an educational program or are enrolled in a residency program and prepay all or part of your tuition.

You are not eligible for protection from the STRF and you are not required to pay the STRF assessment if you are not a California resident or are not enrolled in a residency program.

It is important that you keep copies of your financial aid documents, receipts, or any other information that documents the amount paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833, 916.431.6959 or 888.370.7589.

To be eligible for STRF, you must be a California resident or enrolled in a residency program, prepaid tuition, paid or deemed to have paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:

  1. The institution, a location of the institution, or an educational program offered by the institution was closed or discontinued, and you did not choose to participate in a teach-out plan approved by the Bureau or did not complete a chosen teach-out plan approved by the Bureau.
  2. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution within the 120-day period before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, or were enrolled in an educational program within the 120-day period before the program was discontinued.
  3. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution more than 120 days before the closure of the institution or location of the institution in an educational program offered by the institution as to which the Bureau determined there was a significant decline in the quality or value of the program more than 120 days before closure.
  4. The institution has been ordered to pay a refund by the Bureau but has failed to do so.
  5. The institution has failed to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federal student loan program as required by law, or has failed to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution in excess of tuition and other costs.
  6. You have been awarded restitution, a refund, or other monetary award by an arbitrator or court, based on a violation of this chapter by an institution or representative of an institution, but have been unable to collect the award from the institution.
  7. You sought legal counsel that resulted in the cancellation of one or more of your student loans and have an invoice for services rendered and evidence of the cancellation of the student loan or loans.

To qualify for STRF reimbursement, the application must be received within four (4) years from the date of the action or event that made the student eligible for recovery from STRF. A student whose loan is revived by a loan holder or debt collector after a period of non-collection may, at any time, file a written application for recovery from STRF for the debt that would have otherwise been eligible for recovery. If it has been more than four (4) years since the action or event that made the student eligible, the student must have filed a written application for recovery within the original four (4) year period, unless the period has been extended by another act of law. However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or a taxpayer identification number.

Maryland: Post University is exempt from licensure since it does not maintain physical facilities or offer instructional programs on the ground within the state. Please be aware that, if you live in Maryland and are enrolled in the B.S. in Child Studies, the program meets the education standards for the Connecticut State Department of Education’s Early Childhood Teaching Credential and that those anticipating to seek licensure in the State of Maryland should consult with the Maryland State Department of Education to determine licensure requirements and eligibility. Also, due to state regulations, Post University offers Maryland residents an amended refund policy. If you are a student located in Maryland, please contact student accounts aid at 800.345.2562 for more information regarding
Maryland’s refund policy.

Minnesota: Post University is exempt from licensure since it does not maintain physical facilities or offer instructional programs on the ground within the state. Please note Minnesota’s general education requirements are different from the state of Connecticut. Please contact for information on how to satisfy these requirements.

New Mexico: New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) will receive complaints that were unable to be resolved through the institution’s internal complaint process. Generally, in order to file a complaint with NMHED, you must have already filed with and received a response from the institution that you are complaining against. If you have legitimate reasons preventing you from filing a complaint with the institution, you must provide supporting documentation to that regard. Please visit this website for additional information at

North Carolina: North Carolina students seeking licensure are responsible for contacting the following North Carolina organizations for requirements: North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors (NCBLPC) and NC Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board (NCSAPPB). Licensure in the Human Services field is a professional process that varies from state to state and area of specialization. Post University’s Master of Science in Counseling and Human Services affords students the opportunity to take additional coursework toward licensure eligibility, but it is not a licensure program.

Ohio: The following online degree programs that contain on-ground components to be completed in Ohio have been authorized by the Ohio Board of Regents: A.S. in Early Childhood Education, B.S. in Child Studies, B.S. in Sport Management, B.S. In Counseling and Human Services; and M.S. in Human Services.

Oregon: Post University has received approval from the Office of Degree Authorization to offer online courses, certificates, and degree programs to students in Oregon and includes approval to place students at appropriate sites in Oregon. Due to state regulations, Post University offers Oregon residents an amended refund policy.

Texas: After exhausting Post’s University grievance/complaint process, current, former, and prospective students may initiate a complaint with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) by sending the required forms either by electronic mail or by mail to the THECB. Information regarding THECB’s process can be found at:

Registering a Complaint with a State
To register a complaint in a student’s state of residency, please visit our State-By-State Complaint Process section.


Find Your Program

Step 1 of 2
Your information is secure
View our Privacy Policy

Are you, your spouse or parent (if you are 24 or younger) associated with the U.S. Military?



Did you speak with a Post Representative on a Military Installation?



« Go Back
By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you at the information above, including your wireless number, regarding educational services. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to receive education services.Standard text message & data rates may apply. Message frequency may vary. Please reply to the initial welcome text message HELP for help. Reply STOP to cancel. Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions