Select Page

High School Academy – FAQs

FAQs on Earning College Credit While in High School

From exploring new areas of interest to saving time and money on a college education, there are a lot of positives about taking college-level coursework while still in high school. That is what Post University High School Academy is all about—providing students with a positive educational experience as well as the credentials needed to get ahead in life.

Still, you have questions. We have answers, and we are here to help, beginning with answers to many of our most frequently asked questions:

What Is High School Academy?

Post University High School Academy (HSA) gives high school students the opportunity to save time and money earning college credit with college-level coursework in high school.

What Are the Benefits of HSA?

HSA students are able to simultaneously earn college credit while fulfilling diploma requirements for high school—for only $300 per class.

Students can take courses online, at their high schools, or on Post’s Waterbury campus. Unlike AP credit classes, students can apply HSA credits earned with any passing grade to an associate degree or certificate program at Post, or they may seek to transfer them to their school of choice elsewhere*.

One more thing: Every HSA student is considered a Post University student—meaning they have full access to all the support and resources available, including events, student IDs (which can provide cost-savings and perks at local stores or restaurants), tech support, academic advising, 24/7 tutoring services, University swag, and more!

* Regarding transfer of earned credits, each university has its own policy.

Do I Need a Certain GPA to Qualify?

Students must provide a high school transcript demonstrating a GPA of 3.0 or higher for admission.

How Do I Know if My School Is Already a Partner?

Currently, the following school districts and high schools actively support the postsecondary efforts of students through HSA:

  • Advance Preparatory International (TX)
  • Ansonia High School
  • Bloomfield High School
  • Boys and Girls Club of Greater Waterbury
  • Capital Prep Harbor School
  • Derby High School
  • Education Without Walls
  • Explorations Charter School
  • Faith Preparatory School
  • Great Oaks Charter School
  • Hartford Public Schools
    • Capital Preparatory Magnet School
  • Highville Change Academy
  • Holy Cross High School
  • Hope Academy
  • IM LiFEE (TX)
  • Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation
  • Mercy High School
  • Naugatuck High School
  • Nonnewaug High School
  • Oxford High School
  • Seymour High School
  • South Hadley High School (MA)
  • The Bridge Academy
  • The Marvelwood School
  • Thomaston High School
  • Torrington Christian Academy
  • Upper Echelon Academy (FL)
  • Waterbury Public Schools
    • Crosby High School
    • John F. Kennedy High School
    • Waterbury Arts Magnet School
    • Waterbury Career Academy
  • Waterbury Youth Services
  • Watertown High School

If your school is not on this list, reach out to your high school’s counseling department to start making an individualized plan for your HSA success.

How Much Will HSA Cost?

$300 per course—a 90% savings off the cost of a typical undergraduate course at Post University. Plus, there are no additional fees for student services or even books.

Plus, students who continue undergraduate studies after high school at Post University full-time— either at the Main Campus or through our virtual learning options —will be eligible to receive a 20 % tuition reduction.

This 20% tuition reduction cannot be combined with any other institutional scholarship from Post University. However, the 20% tuition reduction can be combined with scholarships and grants provided by third parties, such as the US Department of Education.

Those students who persist with Post may be eligible for even more generous scholarship opportunities, so be sure to check our Scholarships, Grants, & Other Aid page when the time comes.

How Do I Get Started?

If your high school is already partnering with Post through HSA, the first step is to talk with your school counselor or administrator. If your school does not have a partnership with us, we can still help just contact us.

Who will have access to the student educational records?

HSA students are considered non-degree-seeking Post University Students, as such, their financial and educational records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For FERPA compliance purposes, every student is considered to be independent regardless of age or tax dependency status.

That means we will need the student’s documented permission to be able to communicate their educational records at Post.

How Does HSA Differ from Advanced Placement (AP)?

AP is an impressive program that helps many students pursue, afford, and eventually earn a college degree. So, too, is HSA. Still there are significant differences. For example, with HSA:

  • You are a Post University student, entitled to all the benefits and perks of being a member of the Post family, from student IDs (for discounts at local entertainment venues and dining establishments) to event invites and more.
  • As long as you pass, you will earn credit toward a Post undergraduate program—AP credit is contingent upon the score your earn on the relevant AP exam.
  • Credit is immediately transferable into a Post program.
  • You have finals, not AP exams.
  • You have a wider range of courses and areas of interest to choose from.
Can I Withdraw from a Course?

We follow the University’s policy regarding course withdrawal for HSA classes. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to drop a course you have begun through HSA, contact us.

Can I Repeat a Course to Raise the Grade?

Yes. If you wish to achieve a higher grade for an HSA course you have taken, you can.

How Do I Apply?

Apply Now to get the ball rolling. If you have questions or just need a hand, contact us.

How Do I Request My High School Transcript?

Get with your high school counselor or an administrator to have your transcript sent to Post University directly. To qualify for the HSA program, in addition to a high school transcript demonstrating a 3.0+ GPA, you must have:

Will the Post Credits Transfer?

Credit is immediately transferable into a Post University undergraduate degree or certificate program. Post University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and by the State of Connecticut. While credits from Post are regularly accepted at universities and colleges across the country, we cannot guarantee that any higher education institution will accept all credits as each institution has its own transferring of credits policy.  Post University does however guarantee that credits earned with a grade of “C” or better from the High School Academy will be accepted into undergraduate degree programs at Post University.

Transferring Credit to Other Universities

All credit earned through HSA coursework can be transferred into applicable degree and certificate programs at Post University. If you decide to pursue a post-secondary education elsewhere, Post makes no guarantees that coursework will be accepted for credit, as every college and university has its own policy regarding transferring credit. However, there are things you can do to encourage a smoother transfer process of HSA credit in the event you choose to attend another university:

  1. Save Your Syllabi. Transferring schools may request a course syllabus to validate course comparability. Keep your records.
  2. Maintain Your Grades.  Make sure grades are correctly posted before requesting a transcript be sent to another educational institution.
  3. Review the Incoming School’s Transfer Credit Policy. Contact them to ensure you know where to send transcripts (and whether Post transfer credits are accepted.)
  4. Request Your Transcript. You are responsible for requesting your Post transcript be sent to a different institution.
  5. Speak to an Advisor. Do not give up if your credit is not immediately accepted. Talk with an academic advisor (or department head) to see if more information is needed to have the credit recognized.
  6. Contact Us. If an institution requests course details you cannot access, we can help. We are here for you!



Are HSA Courses Available to Homeschool Students?

Yes, homeschool students are eligible for HSA at Post. Contact us to discuss your options.

Is There a Limit to the Number of Courses I Can Take?

There is no limit to the number of courses you can take through Post’s HSA program. Your HSA advisor will work with you to determine the number of courses and pathway that works best for your interests and needs. This is especially relevant through our online 8-week classes, giving you the ability to take even more classes throughout your high school career. Many students have been able to graduate high school with both a diploma and an associate degree or certificate to enter the workforce that much more quickly—and with significantly less debt. Learn more by talking with our HSA Program Coordinator Kayla Murphy at [email protected] or 203.596.4558.

Can I Earn a Degree While Still in High School?

Yes, it takes dedication and effort, but you can finish your high school career with both a diploma and an undergraduate degree (or career-starting certificate). HSA is a great way to save time and money while you enjoy the benefits of the college educational experience. Contact us to learn more.




How Soon Can I Start HSA?

A high school transcript is part of the admissions process, so you will need at least a semester’s worth of grades in order to apply for admissions into HSA. Many second semester freshmen join the HSA program as college students. You can, too! Contact us to learn more.




For more information complete the form or contact Chad McGuire, Director of High School Academy and Continuing Education Programs at [email protected] or 203.596.4532.

Request More Information