Master of Science in Nursing – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Specialization
Advance Your Healthcare Career with a Psychiatric NP Specialization
This Master of Science in Nursing program is offered Online.
With the fading stigma surrounding mental health conditions and a number of psychiatrists nearing retirement age, the demand for qualified mental health professionals is on the rise.
You can help answer the mental health challenge crises in America and around the world. Earn your Master of Science in Nursing with an NP specialization in Psychiatric Mental Health from American Sentinel College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Post University.
If you have a BSN degree, one year work experience and are passionate about providing patient-focused care as a leader of the healthcare team, our PMHNP specialization may be for you.
The Psychiatric NP Degree Specialization at a Glance
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) programmatically accredited
- 100% online coursework—no mandatory login times
- No on campus visit required
- Clinicals are completed in your area
- Monthly start dates
- Up to 18 transfer credits
- Dedicated faculty and clinical coordinators
- Practice-focused curriculum
- Affordable tuition costs and payment options (majority of our nursing students graduate with little to no debt*)
We prepare graduates of our Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner specialization for the MSN program to assume critical roles as primary care providers and are equipped:
- Enhance patient, healthcare, and organizational outcomes critical to building quality and safe patient care capacity
- Engage in leadership and scholarship activities
- Evaluate the impact between legal, social, political, economic, and ethical issues, and their influence on the provision and management of patient care services
- Integrate clinical guidelines, research, clinical judgment, and interdisciplinary perspectives to improve practice, health, and organizational outcomes
- Advocate for ethical and culturally sensitive policies that impact access, equity, quality and cost
- Employ knowledge of organizational practices and complex systems to enhance delivery and quality of healthcare services
- Apply sound ethical solutions to complex issues concerning the care of individuals and populations, and systems of care
- Respect diverse beliefs and attitudes, while making patients full partners in the decision-making process
- Grow professionally and in integrity by engaging in life-long learning and committing to the discipline of advanced practice nursing
Visit the University Catalog >> for Curriculum, Course Descriptions, and Program Outcomes.
Download your guide to learn everything you need to know about earning a Master of Science in Nursing online.
State Authorization, Licensure, and Disclosures
Students will need to fulfill additional requirements to become nurse practitioners. While the Master of Science in Nursing (Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner, and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner specializations) is not designed to fulfill licensure requirements in an individual state, the program may be used to partially fulfill licensure requirements. Professional credentials vary by state and include requirements outside of education, which may include exams, background checks, work experience, and more. Post University does not guarantee licensure. It is the responsibility of individual students to ensure that all requirements are met to obtain licensure. Post University does not speak on behalf of any licensing board or body but does assist students in understanding licensure requirements.
The following table shows whether Post University, with completion of the appropriate curriculum, does or does not fulfill the educational requirements for a specific license:
Start Your Psychiatric NP Specialization Today!
Take your nursing career to the next level with an MSN from Post University. Let’s talk about what our MSN nurse practitioner specialization can do for you and your career. Contact us today.
*DEBT FREE: Based on 2021 data 73.7% of American Sentinel College of Nursing & Health Sciences at Post University students graduate debt free. This figure includes graduates paying out of pocket and those receiving tuition reimbursement, scholarships, grants, or other third-party benefits which covered their tuition and fees. The University also offers payment plans financed over four- or nine-month increments depending on program of study that could allow a participant to graduate debt free.