Select Page

This month we are highlighting influential women at Post University in honor of Women’s History Month. Read more at Women of Post.

Tanya Pistawka
Associate Experience Team – Director of Associate Learning

What inspired you to enter the field of education, or got you started on your professional path?

I facilitated my first training class at the age of 15 when I was hired to facilitate the Security Overseas Seminar which was a weekly summer offering for children and their parents. I worked with the child dependents of Foreign Service Officers and preparing them for their moves abroad. We spent a day together discussing what it might be like, how to learn more about where they were moving, how to be successful in their transition.

At the end of the day with the kids, I had the opportunity to talk with them and their parents about my own experiences. It was a powerful experience and helped me realize what a tremendous impact creating personal connections had on helping people open up to learn and prepare for frightening and nerve wracking experiences.

I knew from that age on, this would be a part of my future.

I chose higher education after a corporate career in the IT and insurance industries where I realized my passion and heart wasn’t in training systems or protecting investments but rather in help people dream big and creating the space to achieve their dreams.

Who was your female role model?

I have had several role models over the years but I come back to a group of unrelated women who demonstrated immense courage in the face of overwhelming odds and the prevailing assumption that they could not succeed: Harriet Tubman, Amelia Earhart, Alice Paul and Mother Theresa.

These women, and many more, blazed a trail in a variety of different ways but all for the growth or betterment of humanity and the fundamental understanding that all people are equally valuable and their contributions are equally valuable, regardless of their circumstances.

Classes Start Aug. 26Request Info